Tuesday, April 12, 2005

This Bottle Tastes Like ... Corn?

I recently read an article on a company called NatureWorks who has figured out how to make corn -- the yellow shit you like to eat during the summer -- into a polylactide polymer (PLA for those in the know). I can hear you mumbling, "What the fuck is that?" Well, PLA from what I can gather, is pretty much a plastic. A plastic made of corn that is fully biodegradable. Quite a change from regular plastic which never goes away. Ever.

So, instead of making things that are usually made out of chemicals and polymers and whatnot, they are making them out of corn. Corn that looks like plastic. I guess corn that essentially is plastic, but not.

I don't really know chemistry, but I am fascinated with this whole idea and process. I can't stop thinking about it. Everyday kinds of stuff like water bottles, plastic forks, Chinese food delivery containers, that plastic wrap around CDs, etc. is going to be made from (and already is in some cases) corn.

From fucking corn!

2 comments:

-G.D. said...

Will never eat corn and not think about this post.

mike said...

This is awesome. Now when I get corn in my poop, I will say, "Hey, I got potential plastic in my poop!"