Thursday, September 23, 2004

Between Chapter 10 and 12

Yesterday on 1010WINS.com (and every other news site, including the little information screen in my office elevator) I see this headline: Twinkies Maker Seeking Ch. 11 Protection
I hope somebody can quickly crush the notion of Twinkies failing to exist. That would be a horrible day for everyone.

Twinkies are an American icon and let's face it ... they are tasty.

I have two brief (and not so interesting) memories of Twinkies that I'd like to put on paper computer:

(1) Back in 1996 I was on a brief vacation in Europe. While in Amsterdam I spent some quality time (aka high time) with some travelers from Australia. We were discussing this and that about our respective lives and food came up. I had never had vegemite which they thought was odd and they never had Twinkies which I thought was ludicrous. Why wouldn't Twinkies be everywhere? I think I actually had arranged some sort of mail-based exchange program so we could see what we had been missing which of course never happened.

(2) When I was younger and still living with the 'rents, there was a Wonder Bread/Hostess thrift store in my town. They would have snacks there that were just past the "sell by" date for cheap. Usually 8 packages for $1. That shit was awesome. Twinkies, Hostess Fruit Pies, Ding Dongs, Ho Hos, etc. all so cheap there was no excuse not to purge. I know some might not be down with food past the "sell by" date, but come on; Twinkies don't go bad.

That's all the story I've got.

Wait! You should check out this site. There are a bunch of Twinkie-based science experiments that you can try at home, or if you are a science teacher I guess you could try them in the classroom.

Enjoy and go buy a Twinkie or three.

No comments: