Sunday, September 19, 2004

Ebony and Ivory

Yesterday I was in La Isla Restaurant on 14th Street (just West of Avenue B) to get myself a little lunch. Just for the record I got some rice and beans with roast pork. Deeeelicious. Anyway, the guy in front of me in line gets his food and moves to the side so I can get to the counter. He is African-American. He turns to me and says, "Excuse me."

He smells a bit like booze, and when I say a bit, I mean a lot.

He continues with a bit of a slur, "I see that you're white." (this is fairly obvious) "Let me ask you this ... do you hate black people?"

I respond, "No" and mentally prepare a karate chop to his throat if an anti-honky weapon is revealed.

He says, "Good, cause I don't hate white people either."

As Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, " ...We must come to see that the end we seek is a society at peace with itself, a society that can live with its conscience. That will be a day not of the white man, not of the black man, that will be the day of man as man."

Look at that. MLK's plan all comes together on 14th Street!

No comments: