Saturday, February 12, 2005

Just Like 1996

I went out last night (Friday) with my friend Sara who was in town visiting from Minnesota -- the Land of 10,000 Lakes. I met Sara my first summer in NYC, way back in 1996. We both had internships here in the city of big dreams and were both living in an NYU dorm for seven weeks. There was a lot of going out that summer. When I say a lot I mean everyday. Our schedule would be something like this: get up, go to breakfast, go to work, come home, go out, drink, see a band, drink, eat a slice of pizza, go to sleep, get up, feel like shit and say "I'm not doing that again for awhile", go get breakfast, go to work, come home, go out, drink, etc. It wasn't exactly healthy.

Anyway, Sara and I had the bad habit of not knowing when to pack it in. The rest of our posse would head home and we would inevitably stay out for "one more beer." There were more than a few times we would wake up on the couches in the back of the now defunct Looking Glass with a mostly full pint of beer in hand.

Well, last night started off with dinner (you know adult stuff), but turned into drinks afterwards. As our group drifted off, guess who the last idiots out were? Eight years later and we aren't any smarter apparently.

Unlike eight years ago, I don't bounce back quite as nicely these days. I felt like shit all day and didn't even leave my apartment. Damn you booze!! Damn you all to hell!!!

I appreciated the visit, but I think it is probably good she moved back to Minnesota after that summer or we would probably both be in a lot of trouble.

No comments: