Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Still Refreshing?

I just picked me up tickets to go see Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers at B.B. King's this Saturday night. Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers are a reincarnation of The Refreshments.

Back in 1996, when I had first moved to NYC, my recently acquired friends/drinking compadres all got passes for the Macintosh Music Festival which was a week of concerts all over the city. You paid for a pass and the rock (or whatever else) was yours for the listening. The last night of the Fest I wound up at Roseland to see Seven Mary Three with openers The Refreshments. During the show my friends and I decided that if we got separated during the show or on the way out, which inevitably happens, that we would meet across the street.

I wound up being the first one out and got to the other side of the street. There is a guy standing outside of the place across the street who asks me if I am there for the show. Without having a clue as to what show this might be I say, "I could be." He asks if I have tickets and I tell him "No." The guy gives myself and the rest of my posse free tickets and in we go. As it turns out, apparently opening for Seven Mary Three hadn't been sufficient for The Refreshments so they were playing an acoustic gig. Sort of an unexpected concert doubleheader.

It was a really small crowd, I guess some would call it "intimate" and The Refreshments were pretty damn good and entertaining too. I wound up getting pretty drunk (surprise, surprise) and have been a fan ever since.

I don't really have a point to all of this. I'm just hoping that this new version of The Refreshments almost 10 years later will treat me just as well.

No comments: