Saturday, October 16, 2004

It's Not The WSP Of Old

Thursday night I was was meeting some friends for dinner and during my travels to my destination, I cut through Washington Square Park. As I meandered across the park I was not once offered any illegal narcotics. I wasn't looking for some, but that's not the point.

When I first moved to NYC back in 1996 my friends and I used to like to keep a tally of how many people offered us drugs when we cut through WSP. Quietly whispered, "Smoke. Smoke." was pretty much required listening. There were never any times that I can remember cutting through when nobody offered us anything.

I don't know if it is the police presence, the constantly watching spy cameras or if I just don't have the dope-interested look about me anymore, but things just aren't the way they used to be. I don't know if that is necessarily a bad thing, but it sure is strange.

No comments: