Friday, October 22, 2004

The Land of the HUGE

In Bermuda, you don't get to see all that much of the animal kingdom. There are plenty in the surrounding waters, but I am talking about on land. When I was there last month I saw a few lizards and some birds (if you count birds as land animals), but that was about all. Then, I ran into some creatures of mammoth proportions, making me think I may have walked onto the set of some crappy horror movie:

The first thing I see is the biggest slug my peepers have ever laid themselves upon. Thoughtfully photographed with my hand as to give it some size perspective. Yikes!

The horror doesn't end there. There's more ...

A night or two later I look out the hotel window and see something suspect moving along the driveway. I run outside to encounter the biggest toad I have ever seen. As it turns out, this thing is commonly referred to as Giant Toad, so apparently it is the biggest toad most people have ever seen.

Luckily I controlled my urges and didn't pick it up to see how heavy it was. I found out later that they emit a poison which if gets in the eyes can cause temporary blindness. Nothing like toad induced blindness while on vacation to really make it a memorable one.
For the photos of the toad I put one of my Teva sandals near it for size comparison. It worked out OK, but it could have been something awful, "Male toads are particularly promiscuous and will attempt to mate with anything that even remotely resembles a female toad -- including shoes!" So, I don't know if the toad was a female or if my shoes just weren't sexy enough, but either way my shoes came home totally un-knocked up.






1 comment:

mike said...

You sure do have some hairy arms.