Sunday, October 31, 2004

Election Day Rock

What am I doing on election day?

Work?

Yeah, well besides that.

Goin' to vote?

Correct once again, but I was referring to something else.

Sitting at home waiting to hear the outcome of the election?

Hells no. This time you are incorrect. On election day, I'm going to be out rockin'.

I'll be going to Irving Plaza to be entertained by three bands: Burden Brothers, Local H and Finger Eleven. Nothing like a day full of work, voting and rock and roll to make you feel like a red-blooded American! I should probably look into getting some apple pie too.

The Burden Brothers are one of my favorites as of late. The singer is the former singer of the now defunct Toadies and the drummer has formerly rocked with Reverend Horton Heat, Tenderloin, and Izzy Stradlin. I once saw the Toadies back in 1996 and they rocked, so I can only expect the same from Burden Brothers. Their latest album kicks ass. My only concern is that they are from Texas. I hope they don't get all pro-Bush on us. I don't think that would go over too well in NYC.

Next on the agenda is Local H. Just two guys. A drummer and a guitar player. I have also seen these guys in concert before -- numerous times in fact. The first time I saw them I was hooked. I saw them open up for Corrosion of Conformity at Saratoga Winners in Latham, NY. While they were playing, some guy in the crowd kept heckling them. In between songs he kept yelling the usual heckler routine: "Get off the stage" "You suck" "We want C.O.C." After a bit of this he blurts out another "You suck." The singer of Local H yells back, "So do you. Fuck off." and kicks into the next song. They have a new drummer now, but they still rock. Check out this example of their work: It's a live version of High-Fiving MF with a little anti-Bush added in ~blam~ or you can check out their cover of Toxic by Britney Spears ~blam~.

The headliners are Finger Eleven. I don't really know anything about them, except for the fact that they are Canadian. I would prefer it if one of the other bands was headlining, but I will take what the promoters give me and will at least stay for a listen. Afterall, Canadians do know how to rock ... need I mention a little band called Glass Tiger?

So, now you know where I will be on Tuesday. If you care to join in on the fun I am fairly certain that tickets are still available, so why not go vote and then come buy me a beer and listen to some tunes?

No comments: